Saturday, August 16, 2008

Rosetta Stone was right!

When Rosetta Stone chose to teach me the Korean word for "elephant" in its first lesson (that would be the lesson I'm still stuck on!), I thought it would never be of use.

Yet, today, wandering South-Central with the OAF I came across this and was immediately able to holler out (to no one in particular), "코끼리!" And I think, that since there are two, I could say 코끼리들 to indicate the plural nature. Maybe even call the pink one 코끼리아이?

Calling BKF, calling BKF!

The name of the store didn't help me as it looks like "cup person land" to me or "change land" if it's hangulicised English?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the other passers by probably figured it was some kind of waygook Tourettes syndrome......

yer sis

Anonymous said...

코끼리 is great!
코끼리들 is also wonderful!
코끼리아이 is an awesome attempt of word synthesis! (it should be 아기 코끼리. still, close enough!)

전자랜드 is like Circuit City in California, except 전자랜드 is probably much bigger. 전자 = electron, or electronic. 랜드 = land.

Someday, we can read the same Korean text and discuss its translation strategies and tactics...I can already see that it's going to happen sooner or later!

;)

BKF

Charles Montgomery said...

LOL to sis.. I'm sure many Koreans see me just that way as I wander around trying to sound things out and making extremely weird faces..

BKF - don't get too excited, I'm struggling with this language. The two days I spent with lovely JAE's parents was the most productive time I have had here. I had my workbook, my electronic dictionary, and someone to actually talk to!

It was grand.

OAF and I will see them again at Chusok. And if I move up to Seoul, talking to Jong Kyu will certainly speed things up. He's a pretty stand up dude (to use Cali speak) and I like hanging with him.