Thursday, August 14, 2008

Catching Up: Part Three - Good Kwangju-ju

A pano of lovely Kwangju from the road up Mt. Mudeungsan

Then it was time to head down to Kwangju to see the "family." 종규 swooped down on Saturday morning and picked us up. Other than nearly being crushed by a bus, it was an uneventful trip down.

We got down there and, Korean style, headed straight out for lunch. It was up to Mt. Mudeungsan and a brilliant outside restaurant that served boiled chicken and the Korean equivalent of Buffalo Wings. It had been raining, but the rain broke just long enough so that we could eat. While at lunch I busted out the magazine with my photo-essay of the BKF's marriage. Bringing that was probably the smartest thing I could do. Both parents loved the pics and immediately asked if they could keep the magazine. This, and the soju, started the visit off quite well.

After, we trekked up to a temple on the side of the mountain, and then further up the road to a little watering spot. This was all extremely beautiful. That picture up there on the left is from the parking lot of the temple. The building is what the OAF would call a "temple" but most people in Korea know it as a 화장실 (toilet). Over to the right is a picture of what I think are prayer requests? I dunno, perhaps the BKF can drop in and help me on that. Finally, from that temple, below left is a bit of art that struck me as odd. This type of art was on the outside of the main building - it was on all the exterior panels. I'm not sure why it struck me. I don't think I've ever seen temple art done solely in this kind of blue-mood and the style strikes me as a bit different. I'll have to look back at my other photos to make sure I'm not imagining this.

It could also be the result of my narrow experience with Korean culture, but these panels stuck out to me.

Then off to find a love hotel for the OAF and I. 종규 knew of a good one called Shilla and so, for 50K won we settled in there. It had a big old flat screen TV, good AC and also a computer which could be run to the big old flat screen if desired. Being that it was a love motel it also had, directly outside our door, the requisite vending machine full of improbable looking devices to improve the sex-act. As the OAF and I are not married, we cannot indulge in such shennanigans and instead I took a photo of the thing.

Then it was off to a tuegi-galbi dinner which was extraordinary. I got to practice my shitty Korean on the Lee's who were excellent hosts and even better company. We managed to make due with the language gap. 종규 did what he could to translate, which was often pretty good. His English has improved since I met him in the States.

Then it was off to the Shilla and sleep.

Next morning we went over for lunch at the families' house, this time including an Uncle I remembered from the wedding. Same deal with lots of friendly chatter and Korean practice for me. Eventually though, we had to head back to Seoul, with the promise that we would return for Chusok next month. Should be (other than the legendary Chusok trafic) fun.

The lovely pic to the right is of one of the traditional Korean bells. Its picture will certainly show up in the "Heavy Metal" advert in my series of imaginary magazine advertisements for Korea.

Until then, however, with my photoblogging at least a little caught up, it's time for a lovely soju-based cocktail and some rest.

All in my new place, photos caught up, and another rev of "Camel Pouch" back to the BKF. That's enough of a day for anyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

three postings in one shot! the island looks gorgeous and I guess we will visit whenever, yes? Congratulations on more korean; however, you seem to have lost some command of english grammar on the journey.
ysm

Anonymous said...

...as well as your sense of right and left

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a restroom, though well-disguised to OAF's credit.

Yes, they are prayer requests. You pay a nominal amount of money, purchase a lotus lantern (with the address and prayer written on the white strip of paper hanging below).

Yes, it is unusual. It is a modern painting of mixed style (Chinese plus Korean). Blue is unusual, although they are found more often nowadays in traditional-styled paintings.

Losing your command of English could be a sign of your brain breaking some English grammar rules to adopt Korean grammar. Or it could be that you've been lacing your drinks rather often lately... :) (of which I envy).

BKF