Monday, August 25, 2008

Back from Seoul...

Shortly I will have much to say about that, including two tales of my own ridiculous stupidity. The OAF and I headed up on the KTX and went straight to Itaewon so that we could buy books and I could buy trousers. A consequence of my weight loss is that my pants don't fit in a way that no belt can help.

Apparently my fat ass shrank (although my face still resembles an explosion in the pock-marked blubber factory) and thus the back of my jeans slipped down to the point that they were trodden upon by my heels. This led to a singularly unattractive look, even by my standards.

So in Itaewon I dicovered a lacuna in Korea fashion. The Costco claims to have jeans in "Western" sizes, but does not. Itaewon has jeans for fat dudes, but fat dudes have to be pretty fat. There are no "normal" fat guy jeans. So I got some jeans with a 38 inch waist - this is too big for me, but the tailor next door at least has the length right. The search for jeans with a 36 inch waist will go on!

And, in any case, since I was up to 42 in Cali, I'm going to take all this fashion failure as a win.

This would be the last win of my weekend. Details to follow....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not Korea. It's Costco. They never have pants for men in a 34 or a 36 waist..... shrug

yer sis

Anonymous said...

tell 'im if e wants jeans for his birthday e has to blog his inseam too :-p

Charles Montgomery said...

inseams don't count in Korea, since alterations are 5 bucks and under. You get the pants you want, then wander next door.

And, I went to Costco today and DID find some trousers with a 36 inch waist. Brought them home (no dressing rooms in Costco) and they fit just fine. So I think I just need to get there the day the trousers are being put out and before the other fat guys disengage from the Mickey D's and hit Costco.

It was just my luck that today I wasn't the fat guy at the Mickey D's.

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you aren't pantsless. Writing while on hold with the IRS -- a horror story which takes more room and time than the blog allows.
love