Friday, August 22, 2008

Here Comes Trouble! (Why it is good NOT to be Norwegian in Korea)


The Korean women's handball (yeah, that's a sport, apparently) lost last night on a call that was pretty shady looking. I'm guessing the Korean press is not going to take this with any kind of equanimity, if history is any guide. Already netizens are getting riled:

How dare you, you two people on top of me!
Don’t you dare insult Korea like that, You fuckin’ people, I don’t care of I’m Japanese-Korean, I’M STICKING TO KOREA, and Korea is not a bad sport!
Learn about our history and see why!
And, If you really look at our history, Korea was and is being tormented by Japs and Chinese, so you have no right to say ANYTHING!

Heh.. gotta love that "Japs and Chinese" thing. Hard to say how that had any influence on the game (All of the judges seemed to be big, fat white people), but this response is probably indicative of what is to come.

I'm also interested, though I'm not sure why, that the Chosun Ilbo isn't currently playing the story at all in its English edition, and has it top, front, left on the Korean edition. The Hanky seems to be playing it down.

I think this weekend would be a good time to visit the Norwegian embassy in Korea (Note to self: check to see if there is one), because I'm pretty certain its going to be the scene of some bloodletting. What is the Norwegian national bird? ;-)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, for those of us who read English and need to burn some bandwidth, here's the scoop: http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Handball-S-Koreas-appeal-against-Norway-win-rejected/352055/

yawn

Anonymous said...

And for those of you out there as confused as I- the korean language package offered is not a translation...

HYS

Anonymous said...

Here it is...the Norwegian Embassy in Seoul. Apparently, it is right next to Hagendaaz (spelling?) ice cream store (since I know that area pretty well...)

http://www.norway.or.kr/info/embassy.htm

BKF