Friday, April 17, 2009

How Simple Am I (Pavlov's Translations)?

The editing came through tonight. I was thoroughly excited to get the email and see the two attachments. My feeling was like a jackrabbit in that classic HST thing (for you slow ones, I'm the jackrabbit):

People who claim to know jackrabbits will tell you they are primarily motivated by Fear, Stupidity, and Craziness. But I have spent enough time in jackrabbit country to know that most of them lead pretty dull lives; they are bored with their daily routines: eat, fuck, sleep, hop around a bush now and then... No wonder some of them drift over the line into cheap thrills once in a while; there has to be a powerful adrenalin rush in crouching by the side of a road, waiting for the next set of headlights to come along, then streaking out of the bushes with split-second timing and making it across to the other side just inches in front of the speeding front tires."


And we all know how that kind of game ends. Road Hassenfeffer. Still, I was excited. And then thrilled when I saw it was actually an achievable edit, not 100 pages of total gibberish due tomorrow morning before I could even go to sleep tonight

Dear Imaginary Lord - do not take this thrill from me or I will take a fistful of Xanax and try to swim to Japan. I could be the first waeguk to make it!

No comments: