Sunday, October 26, 2008

LOLCATZ!

When I woke up on Saturday morning my "gout" was gone. So the OAF and I (fortified with half a pain killer) set out across town to find the "International Festival."

First we passed the "dead town" with its protective wall (when Koreans do re-construction they generally ring the site with a 20 foot tall metal fence, but for the day this fence was down).

I had to snap a pic, as I am obsessed (crap! MSM will think I'm abscessed!)

Further along the way we found an education festival and the OAF .. well.. the picture tells the story. Despite losing several positions in academia in the US, she was THE expert in Korea and held the surveyors rapt for some 20 minutes.

We wandered past another festival we were incapable of catching the meaning of. We were amazed at the line (at least 200 people) for free popcorn.

We got to the "International Festival." To call it a flea market would be like tarting Sarah Palin up to Nobel Scholar. It was a series of booths with second hand goods and other booths with food of suspect origin. Making, in total, about 30 booths.

The internationality of the thing was best represented by the book-sales booth, in which all books were Korean.

So we started walking back towards home. At a certain point we got tired and decided to take the bus. Alas, we knew not which bus to take. The good news was that we were on the main northern road along the top of east side of South Central (if that makes any sense). So we boarded a bus and sat down. As we did, I said the fateful words, "at least this bus can only go straight ahead or to the right."

The bus went about three blocks and then hard left.

At a certain point it became clear we were paralleling the freeway to Seoul. When we got to Sintanjin (the town Jong Geun took us for excellent duck) we knew we had gone astray. We hopped off of the bus and grabbed another one going back the other direction. It finally got us to a place I could recognize (the OAF is completely hopeless at location and/or direction) and we got home in one happy piece, watched a bit of TV and slumbered.

Today was easy.

We slept in, in excessive fashion, and headed downtown for Galbi-Tang breakfast. I swear, when I'm back in the empire, I'm having the OAF cook up Galbi-Tang each and every NFL morning. It's the perfect breakfast if you are mildly hung over (or not) and want to chill for a few hours; nice and hot, sleepy-making, and filling.

Then she shopped while I headed up to the Cafe Idee for a glass of wine and to download the "Who" discography in a bit less than two hours.

Man, I love this place!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the OAF is completely hopeless at location and/or direction"

the utter lack of irony in that sentence just slays me given your famed "sense" of direction.....

yer sis

Anonymous said...

gout goes away!
And I concur with yer sis!! Talk about the halt and the blind!!!

love you and what is this frabjous breakfast?

Charles Montgomery said...

I'll admit I've been confused a time or two (most notably when MSM tried to Donner Party me by leaving me off at a non-existent trailhead). But that doesn't mean I don't have aa good sense of direction.

I keep coming back. ;-)

I'm like Davey Crockett that way!

MSM - Galbi-tang is a delicious beef-rib soup - meat still on the bone - served in a hot pot with rice and the normal side dishes. Ginger, radish, garlic, scallions and, often, dates are floating around in there...

Anonymous said...

Galbitang...

http://www.365food.com/food_img/food-gurooms-galb.jpg

BKF