Saturday, November 01, 2008

Pain in the Bones...

Sick as a dog… had to teach til 7:20 pm and then staggered home. Got in and turned the heater to maximum. I had a fever, but my bones were aching like I was a 90 year-old black woman/prophetess in some bad Steven King movie. “Oooh lawdy, I noes I too ode to live through alla ‘dis heah, but I feels pow’ful evil approaching.” The heat treatments lasted about 2 hours and then I took a walk through the cold and foggy streets here. My bones were nice and liquid and the cold tightened my skin.

I’m back home with the window open and the cold pouring in; also harboring the delusion that this will break the fever. For now I’ll just enjoy the surrealism that a good fever brings. House seemed extra cynical and the K1 fighters look like demented insects. All I can tell is that some Korean guy is beating some guy from a country with a flag that looks like a direction sign at an airport: green, blue, red and white..all pointing right. Beochir Kaleekoda if I read the Hangul correctly.

Heh.. I should note that one thing I love about Korean TV is that it doesn’t play many commercials, and when it does, it chunks them together. I had noticed this in dramas, but the other day I watched Oprah and, since I didn’t watch it at home, I had no idea that it sometimes ran about 25 seconds of Oprah and then a commercial. Korean TV can’t hide the fade outs so you get Oprah for half-a-minute, fade in/out, Orprah followed by fade in/out and this repeated about five times in a row. It looks ludicrous but I find it highly entertaining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the words of good old Fred Sanford, "You hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you, honey!"


Hope ya feel better soon. There's a nasty grippe that's been kicking people's asses around here lately too.

-yaf

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are fading in and out. Guess it is time to find a nice place to hang that art you had your sister store for you.

HYS

Anonymous said...

Try public sauna places! They are cheap (about 5 bucks) and are everywhere! You may be the only foreigner there, and naked at that... But that's okay because you're suffering! Go to public sauna places and give that nasty cold to someone else... :) That's how you got it in the first place and that's how you get better! Brilliant!

BKF