Sunday, April 06, 2008

Smoggy day here in Daejeon – I haven’t checked to see if it is yellow dust or just good old smog. This is mainly because I don’t want to know. But I can barely even see the northern mountains, which is never a good sign.

Makes me glad I took my hill-hopping expedition yesterday when it was much more clear. I walked up behind BPU and caught a trail that runs up into the hills that separate BPU from a more prestigious college on the other side. A brief walk up past terraced gardens and then up to a low saddle intersected by a ridge trail that I followed both ways. To the right is a hillside cemetery. Although calling it that is a bit wrong, since it is really just a collection of mounds and tombs scattered on the hillsides. I’m not sure how the ownership of these funeral mounds goes? I have read, on other blogs, that redevelopment sometimes forces ‘owners’ to move them, but that’s about as much as I know.

One bad thing about BPU is that its Language Institute structure effectively walls of Korean and White employees, so I don’t yet have someone local to ask these questions of. The English instructors, meanwhile, could really care less and when I ask questions like this they look at me like I am mildly retarded (yeah, I know). In any case, I came down the hill sort of hot and definitely dusty.

Anyway, the tombs, some lovely flowers (this photo does not do justice as I had my white balance all messed up) and the path surely taken.



Today’s walk will be less strenuous - flat and towards the old market. I’m going to try to find the DICC because I hear there are some interesting web-based publication opportunities associated with it. But first, off to the PC Bang to post this tripe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Consider the mounds as private cemetery. Some people either buy a piece of land, or take a piece of land that they own that fits Fung-Shui and build private family cemetery. Have you visited public cemetery in Korea? That's be a trip! And you'll instantly understand why they prefer private family use cemetery.

As for the flower, it's Azalea. Remember the one and only poem I translated:

When you become sick of me
that you must leave
Never will I drop a tear
Even it kills me

There are hills covered entirely with the flowers in Korea, and that's amazing sight, both for those who has allergy and has not. FYI, Youngbyeon, the place in North Korea where Kim Jung il keeps the nuclear facility was once the favorite place of his late father because the place gets covered with Azalea. Now, it is worse than a rose that hides its thorns...

BKF