Sunday, March 16, 2008

Working for the Weekend

Today was all about shopping and walking..

Headed towards .. well.. I wasn’t sure.. took the same bad route I took last Saturday (without the intestinal complications), but cut to the left and followed signs to the Daejeon train station. There I found all the photo-shops that, I had been assured, would not have a battery charger for a Canon camera.

These assurances were 100% correct.

So I got some more hangers, some diet coke, some of the red bean paste, and headed home. On the way back I ate a slice of…

Of…

Well, pizza I suppose.

Very much like it but also not like it. It was something like the kind of “pizza” you’d get charged extra for in the Bay Area – under the cheese lay corn, peas, all kinds of things that are normal in Korea but not so much in pizza. As I walked along the dead river I pretended I was eating at some snooty restaurant in Berkeley and enjoyed it tremendously. Mostly because it would have cost me 5 bucks in the gourmet ghetto on 6th st Bezerekely.

An old man came up to me as I waited for a green light and gave me the kind of up and down that you’d get in a gay bathhouse. I mean.. you know.. I imagine you’d get that in a gay bathhouse.

Anyway, he pointed at my wrist and gibbered in that language they gibber around here. Something like Japanese.

I pulled my hand out of my pocket and showed him I had no watch. He nodded sadly. A few seconds passed until I realized I had the time on my ipod. I pulled it out and showed him that it was 11:34. He nodded ecstatically. For one brief second I thought I had created a moment of intercultural amity. Until he rolled out the only word of English he probably knew.

“Money?”

Ah.. the iPod had only convinced him I was some rich easy-mark from the Occident.

Fortunately, on my first Korean trip the BKF’s first Korean lesson to me was on the subway when a beggar hit me: “obseyo” – “don’t have”

I popped that out on the old dude and watched his toothless mouth cave in a bit more.

I had assumed the White Man’s Burden!

Later, I purchased some sliced octopus.

Well, it was octopus until I got it home and cooked it up when it turned into… well .. similar to the “pizza” it was very much like octopus but also not like it. I have included a picture of it here in case BKF can identify it for me. It has an octopus-like taste, but it cooks up like some kind of bread item.

I dunno, if it doesn’t turn out to be something like pattied octopus crap I’ll buy it again as it cooks up well with other foods despite the fact the I fried it and the pictures on the back pretty well indicate that I was supposed to have boiled it.

Who am I lying to? Even if it is octopus crap formed into patties I’ll buy the.. er.. “shit” … since I can identify it in the store (there are many boxes and bags of ferocious looking stuff that I can’t identify) and it hasn’t killed me yet.

This is the life of the expatriate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't read much Korean, but I swear that package says "not for human consumption".

HYS

Charles Montgomery said...

HYS -

you may be close to the truth. On the back, in English, it says "Don't waste wastes."

I hadn't thought that might be a comment on the contents of the bag.

Til now...

Roboseyo said...

hey there rwellor. it's roboseyo: I'm glad you enjoyed my blog, to begin with, and I'm happy to take comments from anyone who cares to pipe up.

Welcome to Korea, by the way.

as for getting connected here in Korea, I recommend you google "Hiseoul" which is the Seoul City government tourism info organization; it's actually quite good. also google the korea adventure club: it's a set of tour organizers who plan weekend trips around Korea about once or twice a month, aimed at introducing Korea to expatriates. I highly recommend signing on for a few of those; my old coworkers met most of their friends on the tours.

a lot of getting to see Korea is falling in with other people who are interested in doing the same; if your friends are the type who just want to eat barbeque and drink beer every weekend, and say things like "downtown? too far." or always go to the same place in Itaewon, I encourage you to take a korea adventure tour and meet some people with a little more initiative/creativity. you can email me at robahand [at] gmail.com if you want, but let me also recommend galbijim.com (it's on my blog sidebar) as a treasure trove of information. who knows: you might even meet a soulmate on one of the expat in Korea facebook groups.

ps: stay off the comment boards on Dave's ESL cafe: too much negativity; it'll get you down on Korea.

Anonymous said...

Charles..

This is BKF. The stuff you consumed is NOT sliced octopus. It is sliced rice cake. No wonder it retained the taste of bread -- made from grain, you know.

As for the old man, I cracked up laughing. So you remembered "obseyo..." What a succinct, yet useful word it is...

This may sound a bit geeky, but why not throw a pot luck party with your students? Or hold a class (either writing or speaking) about food culture. You may get more ideas on what to eat (other than the triangular seedweed rice thing) each night, not to mention sharing more of the "intellectual amity" moments. :)

BKF