Saturday, January 24, 2009

Incheon Airport

Has a wonderful free computer lounge - a macbook even. This makes up for the fact that the ticket I purchased on KTX, far ahead of the holiday rush, was mysteriously for a train that no longer existed. It had to be traded for a later train and it cost an extra 2,500 won as well (so there went my profits from the 48 pounds of coins!).

It seemed that most people had done their Seollol traveling on Friday, so the train, subway, and the subway-train to Incheon were pretty empty. It's a cold day, so those heated seats were particularly welcome. 10 hours of flight, and then I'll be back down in the US of A. Strangely, I'm not as excited about that as I thought I would be. I'm dying to see all the peoples I haven't seen, but the idea of, say, San Jose, doesn't move me that much. ;-)

A nice dude on the last train noticed that I was about to get off at the wrong station (the English announcements, oddly, were one station out of sync - I've never heard of that before) and scooted over to tell me that I was about to get off at Gyeyong station and be in the middle of nowhere. The reputation Koreans have with some expatriates for not being helpful seems completely undeserved to me. Any time I've needed help, and times like this when I didn't even realize it, there always seems to be a helpful citizen about...

Off to see if they'll sell a brother a beer in this airport.

UPDATE:

As the picture suggests, they will....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only you...

HYS

Anonymous said...

Wow! Is that how many beers you had at the airport?!

Maybe all the kindly assistance is due to the "help me" sign your friends taped on your back? You did have pretty good luck that time with the camera though...

-yaf

Anonymous said...

...and the guy on the subway train spoils the conspiracy to keep you in Korea...there must have been some glitch in the matrix...

Welcome back! it was great seeing you.

BKF