Monday, September 22, 2008

Weak Ends....

A lovely third-day-of-the-weekend. Headed up to Seoul to get the cable I need to do a video presentation in Tokyo. Took the Saemaul (local) as the Mugungwha (milk-train) was already full. The Koreans are a frugal people!

It was a bit less than two hours up to Seoul and as usual I wrote away like a busy little beaver. I have no idea what it is about being on public transportation (or at a bar) that makes me focus on my readings and then write. The “U-base” folks were grand and they ordered me the correct cable which is scheduled to come land in two days or so. Plenty of time for the conference if I want to go visual.

It’s actually more important for my classes at the BPU biznezz school, which can’t seem to get its technology together. Can’t do much with videos I can’t play.

Anyway, whilst up at U-base I had to hand my laptop over to the tech and in that moment I realized exactly how filthy the keyboard was. ;-) The OAF had mentioned this before, but I hadn’t thought much of it. When I got home I pulled the cord and battery and cleaned the keyboard and deck. And then put it under a fan.

It was at that moment that I realized I probably should have backed up all of my brilliant paper-writing before getting my computer next to a rag that was even remotely damp. ;-)

It all turned out well.. the computer looks much more shiny, and the papers are safe.

And as there were no Saemaul or Mugungwha available, I took to KTX and sped back to lovely South Central.

As a bonus, over on Brian’s site, he had a picture of that advert for Korea complete with grammatical error and references that would mean NOTHING to any potential western tourist.

Solipsism to the max!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude--it ain't the damp cloth that's going to kill the lap top--it's fan death. What the heck where you thinking?

yer sis

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you did that immediately after i had warned you about backing stuff up before the conference. like, duh! ok?

also, is "Brian's site" secret, or is it just too complex and foreign for your readership to understand? (wondering why you reference it, but provide no link)

-YABCDEF

Jennifer said...

I got your comment, and I guess it is about time I get an email link up there. I completed the survey, it's pretty cool what you're doing. I've read some of your posts in Scraps and the older one, and I look forward to reading more. I'm actually back in the States now (although you may know that already), but I'm already missing things Korean. I actually dream about the food. Looking forward to reading more of your posts...

jennifer

Anonymous said...

Wow! The Curse of Jens!