Monday, June 23, 2008

The Retardation Report

Saturday was all about lunch with Jong Kyu. He took us to a lovely joint in Sintanjin which served duck. Duck upsets my stomach, but I like the taste of it. Since the other option was eel, which the OAF was loath to try, I took one for the team and enjoyed it very much. JK's English is very good and he kept us quite entertained all afternoon.

On Sunday I set out with the OAF and the guy who lives upstairs. They were in search of books, I was in search of DVD's and DVD cases. We all found what we were looking for.

Today I hooked up with my Korean instructor and took her back downtown to the place I'd found the DVDs. It also had a ton of computer and technology shops, but a student had warned me that it could be "tough" if I didn't bring a Korean speaker. So we purchased me a lovely Korean/English dictionary and I decided to go look for a cable for my iBook. While their, which was across from the place I bought DVD's on Sunday, someone started yelling something about "Gayang-dong." Turns out they were yelling it at me as I had, magically, managed to leave my Alien Registration Card there the day before. Losing your ARC is a thing not to do and I was lucky I decided to go back there and look for more computer stuffs. I probably would have discovered I'd lost the ARC when a cop asked me for it...

Not where your waeguk wants to be.

I also bought a nifty printer/scanner/copier and was so happy that I didn't even mind that on the way back the cabbie yelled at me because he didn't like the fact I had said "BPU kachuseyo" and then given him left/right directions that ended up leading somewhere else than BPU. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say, since addresses don't work in Korea and there are no notable landmarks around my Daejeonian Love Pad.

Oh well.... still a grand day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

impossible to believe -- you leave something behind!? -- like a wallet, car keys, sunglasses, your girlfriend !! I don't believe it at all. ysm

Anonymous said...

Is this the cabbie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMaTfAn7KAs&NR=1


HYS

Anonymous said...

Well, you're 2 for 2 there buddy. First the mighty Ninoka gets returned and then your alien card calls you back to the scene where you were separated from it.

You some kinda lucky mofo!

-AF

Anonymous said...

Finally! I am catching up with the stories...

giving directions to a cabbie... this means you are ABLE to communicate "left" and "right" in Korean!

Hooray!

BKF