Saturday, June 23, 2007

Late Update On BAGs Graduation

Which actually occurred last weekend at University on the Hill. I motored on up to pick the BAG up at about 1:30 and we headed off to find a motel to stay in that night. We also headed over to check out a place for the post-graduation party. We had both worked in that town before and so we knew of a brewpub and also remembered it was a favorite of MR. KOREA who was going to come on up for the post-party with his lovely wife. We stopped in about 2:30 and I had a glass of lager and the BAG had a coke. The boite had expanded and looked grand, so we decided our choice had been a good one. We then headed off towards the University on the Hill and right at the bottom of the hill found a lovely hotel for about 60 American. An excellent deal so we grabbed a room and the BAG dressed up - as you can see - and called her brother to iron out some last minute details.
There had already been one little snag. The BAG had emailed her brother about the graduation and not explicitly told him to invite the parents. In a normal family this would be a given, but the brother decided that discretion was the greater part of valor and simply ignored telling the parents. Thank God the BAG called to ensure everything was ok and at least the mother/aunt was able to make it to the graduation. They really are a family of wolves, except wolves, I think, communicate with each other?

After we settled in it was up the hill to drop the BAG off and I ran back down the hill to get some money so I could purchase some roses for the BAG (those roses should show up in a picture somewhere down there). By the time I got back that ampitheatre was full, and I picked a spot up on the hill with a good view. The best seats in the house were a good 75 yards from the stage, so the view was pretty remote no matter where you were. BAG graduated and danced across the stage like an alien bug on a red-hot griddle. Then, there was an enormous crush on the way out, which I pretty much avoided and therefore got to the restaurant a good 45 minutes before everyone else. My Angry Friend was also free and tried to call me, but the fact that my cell phone microphone was broken made our pathetic attempts to communicate with each other... well.. pathetic.

So I sat there waiting for someone from the other crew to show up with a cellphone that actually worked. And I wondered why MR. KOREAN wasn't there since he had called me at 6 with the news that he and his brood were on the way. This particular question was answered when the BAG got to the restaurant and called him. Her jaw tightened up in that cute way it does when she is about to explode and she said, "I don't understand, talk to my Long Suffering Boy Friend (me!)" The Koreans were, in a most un-Korean way, bailing on the whole thing. In fact, they had already bailed. This was letting the side down in a major way and the BAG was testy for some time.

We got inside and I called My Angry Friend who talked to me for about 2 minutes and then waltzed around the corner. She had been at the graduation but because A) My phone didn't work and B) I had given the BAGs phone back to her, we couldn't connect.

At last, we had the band together. And by now the band included, if not MR JAPANESE (we had downgraded him in our minds) the BAG's Indian roommate who seemed, at least, to have the best time of any of us.

We had reformed the band so we could wait 45 minutes while other large tables got seated from behind us in line by a really snotty young woman. If the BAG hadn't finally gone and complained to the manager we would be waiting still. The service was iffy, the food was poor, and a waitress bid My Angry Friend "goodnight" or something similar, while MAF was on her way to the bathroom and before our food was even plated.

I don't think we will be going back.

At least two people gave the BAG money, which she accepted with the disdain that she accepts all gifts (raised by wolves, remember?) but was happy to get. She also received books, which as everyone knows she is also always happy to get. I also snapped that photo of the "nuclear" (so-called because it has the same effect on its members as radiation poisoning!) family over there. I still had the long lens on and I rather like the "family in the background" quality that it gives the picture.

The BAG and I then scooted off to the hotel, where I availed myself of my little flask which contained schnapps. I had owned the damned flask for several months, and I was happy of a chance to use it.

We watched TV, slept, and the next day headed out Delta-wards for some book-shopping and antique browsing. Thus you see the BAG cursing the "dirty damned apes!" as she comes across the Statue of Liberty.

I'd give the whole thing an 8 out of 10, largely redeemed because the BAG was so happy and now she has the sheepy-skin (on something other than a 'natural' condom which always falls offa me because it is too big and that 'problem' I have with intimacy. Well, enough boring any readers with that).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent the BAG a congratulatory email. If you'd informed me of it I'd even have attended the hideous dinner.... (sniff)

Yer sis

Anonymous said...

NOBODY was informed of it. It was the most non-advertised celebration in the history of graduations! If I hadn't been (probably angrily) IM-ing the night before, I'd have missed the whole thing, which was very aptly portrayed here.

-the AF

Anonymous said...

That sounds about right for the BOTBAG (boyfriend of the bizzarre alien girlfriend).

Fuquer..

yer sis