Thursday, November 16, 2006

PAPERS AS THEY SHOULD BE WROTE (Dolls conclusion to come - which matters only to me!)

So,

as all two (including me) readers know, in my last course in the "Just Barely Accredited Master's Program" I managed to blow the deadline for my paper and end up having to write it in one day. It was a good day as I had a hamburger and some beers, but it was not quite the amount of time I need to turn out the decent high-velocity collection of signifiers.

This all had dire consequences as I got a B on that paper and got my first course grade that wasn't an A. I suspect the shock of this event will eventually drive me to drink. My friends will be shocked and dismayed.

For now I struggle on manfully.

And, with the next paper coming up, I decided that starting with 3.5 days to go might work.

I'm just a crazy kid with a dream.

So I'm working on Kim Yong Ik's brilliant story "They Won't Crack It Open" which I'm morally certain only got into my "multicultural" textbook because the editor's didn't actually understand what Kim was saying (about which I will say more in my paper).

Anyway, with The Bizarre Alien Girlfriend in the next room watching Nazis on the history channel, eating the heads off of spring robins and sucking down root beer, I've been alone here in the room and I've started my paper. As of 10 pm in Hometown USA, this is what I have...

In Kim Yong Ik’s, "They Won't Crack It Open," readers find a brilliant but rather surprising and subtle examination of the destructive effects of racial essentialism. Kim takes a multicultural lens and by inverting it tells a deeply personal, but at the same time generally applicable tale of how racial essentialism can destroy individuals. Part of the literary beauty of this piece is that it takes a path usually not taken and, by arriving at a common destination, more clearly limns the difficulties of traveling there.

Kim typically wrote stories, although in English and for and English audience, of Korea. "They Won't Crack It Open” is a fairly substantial departure from this ouvre.

The intro is brilliant once you finish the story and as you read it you wonder how much is intentional and how much is (THAT WORD FOR EXTRA LUCKY). As you go on and experience the clever imagery and subtle wordplay that Kim uses throughout, you realize it is primarily intentional

Compare to frozen hands story for the pain coming from “within” the culture. Dick is essentially killed by the expectation of his own culture. Kim brilliantly models this as his cab driver takes the narrator from the airport through the steps of decline. (INSERT THE DRIVE)



No comments: