Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Seoul Grows Closer?

It seems as though the chances of working in Seoul are increasing – if I want it. Now I am asked to send my photo to Mr. Park so he can forward it on to the college (which, as it turns out, is a Junior College according to its just revamped web-page). I think the photo is A) To prove I am white and, B) To make sure I look "good" enough. "Houston, we could have a problem!"

There is also a job interview down in Santa Barbara in one week from today, and that might turn into a job offer. It is in a language lab, but it is not instruction, Additionally, it is a 40 hour per week gig with no schedule flexibility. The job in Seoul would be 15 hours of instruction per week, and the rest being the mysterious "other duties" that faculty in the Community College System in California assiduously don't tend to. So that's points against, really.

One other thing playing into this is that as I get older I have to ask myself how many adventures I will be able to go on. The Seoul job, above and beyond all else, will be something drastically new, and that is normally a good thing. I could learn the language, visit the sites, get a little cultural knowledge. I think that Korea has the chance to be the "next" Japan, and that would be worth riding.

I would also be able to finish my Master's without as much 'stuff' going on around me, and I have a fantasy of taking some time to do a little writing. Perhaps only a fantasy, but one that I would not have if I were in SBCC or some similar position. Also, I'd get to work out my teaching chops on poor innocent Koreans.

I suppose the questions have to do with isolation. How well would I take leaving all my friends and family. It isn't like I see them a great deal, but the idea that I can see them whenever I want is one I'm fond of. A nice 10-hour $500 flight (one-way) makes that a little less likely from Seoul.

And then there is the BAG (New acronym for the POSSLQ – this means "Bizarre Alien Girlfriend" and also has the advantage of being easier to type). How well can we do in a bi-continental relationship? She has a brilliant plan for my first year of absence, which involves finishing her degree. But who knows if absence makes the heart grow fonder or just brings on a kind of forgetfulness?

And then there is the practical process of getting out of here. I'll have to move out, store what I want, sell a car I'm still paying off… there are issues, as they say.

I dunno, I'll work some of these thoughts out here… The thrill of being an expat, the "next Japan" The "BAG" list, some other things…. Interesting times…

No comments: