Thursday, April 13, 2006

Why I don't Talk about my Education with Strangers

Two weeks into the first class and I have this conversation with an old friend on IM. It makes me wonder:

ME: I have to do my last assignment this week for "Just Barely Accredited Graduate School"
HER
You are too productive for words.
ME
heh.. I'm sucking up now... reviewing an extra piece.. gotta pile up the points for that invevitable week I bugger off.. and if I do get the last piece done I can work on the actual writing part, which is far and away my weakest point..
HER
writing? master's thesis?
ME
No. I am taking two courses from the MFA track as electives... so writing fiction... was that or tedious film-criticism classes.. which would have been easy, but would have sucked the last grain of dusty coal out of my soul.
HER
that bad, huh?
ME
I hate film criticism..
HER
so what kind of fiction do you have to write? Grisham legal thrillers?
ME
two chapters of a novel... or a short story of that length.. but the beauty of the two chapters is they don't have to finish anything in the novel... Just get it going... same deal with the next class ….. 630A...
See, mysteriously?
For a guy getting his degree in English? They started me in 630B… outside of my major and 630B is after 630A...
So not only am I in a class with a bunch of people who already are (or think they are) writers, but they have taken the preparatory class and I haven't yet..

HER
so it has to be the FIRST two chapters?
ME
I will take 630A next class.. which is an example of the "Completion Backwards Principle" first posited by the Tubes...
HER
are they going to pummel you?
ME
no... doesn't have to be the first two chapters. But if it isn't?
You need a synopsis of the whole book..

Leading back to my original problem with finishing anything...

HER "
It was a dark and stormy night..."
ME
"Getting by in the Big City is easier if you have an English Accent."
HER
Does the English accent include writing like them?
ME
Not really.....
HER
Theatre, enquiry...
ME
the odd word, but that is all...
HER
Throw a few extra u's into words
ME
there is a plot twist about that English accent.. all will be revealed in chapter 11..
Which I will never get to..

As an attempt write a synopsis quickly revealed..

HER
Posthumously
ME
your optimism is charming.

No comments: