Monday, March 12, 2007

Farkery and Thesis

A lovely summery day here in Big City. I have almost forgotten last month's snow and frigid temperatures. I decided that rather than doing anything useful or social I would grab my camera and take a ramble.

Just a little bit of useless fuckery, wander around out in the sun for no reason. Once I get out there I realize I should do a bit more useless fuckery. All this work has been boring and since the whole universe is premised on useless fuckery, it's not going anywhere.. well, it's expanding, but it's not going anywhere.. so why should I be any different? Except maybe not expand as much.

Not good for a fat guy.

Anyway, I don't want to stop at any of the bars along the way, so I decide to take a pill. On top of my desk/cabinet/mirror thingie I have a motley collection of pills, in sets of one or two. These have been collected from prescriptions over the years for various ailments and if I don't finish a prescription I just toss the remaining few onto the cabinet. One downside of this is I have no idea what they are. I know that the 3 big blue ones are some kind of anti-psychotic a friend gave me that he said would calm me down if I was nervous. I took one and nearly flipped out, so I really don't want those. I should probably grind them into some hamburger and feed them to the dog next door, or something. But after looking at my options, I picked one of three lovely pinkish and little ones and had it with a cup of coffee. I sure hope I don't get addicted.

I walk a few blocks and realize that I forgot to bring something to write on. I see an Office Depot and decide to go inside. Just inside the door is a lovely row of small digital tape recorders and I realize I must have one. After 20 minutes of puzzling, I make my choice. Then, standing in line as the woman is unpacking it from its protective case in the store, which is just as difficult for her to open as it is for me to open the package when I get out on the street (see the lovely picture of my cut finger - boohoo for me!), I start freaking out because I haven't picked up the pad and pen I came in for. The whole time I'm in there I'm peering over at the “school supplies” area to try to figure out if I have time to run over there and get the pen and pad before she rings me up. There is not such an amount of time. It isn't until I get out of the store that I remember that the I paid 49 dollars for a digital tape-recorder so I wouldn't have to use a pad and pen while I was walking.

So now I'm thinking that pinkish pill was pretty good!

And then some delicious coffee from 7-11 powered by ginseng, guarana and yurba mate. So now I'm wondering about (or is that hoping for?) potential complicative interactions between the pinkish pill and all the hippie-drugs in my caffeine. When I get outside the sun seems a bit brighter, the sky a bit bluer, and the sidewalk a bit more like undulating polka-dotted taffy. So I think it worked.

Further down I walk past the sign that influenced one of my Spanish-language adverts on the last campaign. It is here right above the advert. I'm not sure “influenced” isn't overstating it. It's the "Se Habla" part and I liked it and the advertising did work. :-) Anyway, I need to use the bitching stars in the next one!

Got down to a Mega-store and purchased polarizing something or others to cover my lenses. Unfortunately the store did not have a lens cap for the lens missing one, neither did it have the screw on cover I need for the back of one of my lenses. I'll pick those up tomorrow at Funky Little Kamera Store over by work. Then I'll have my camera kit in order, should I ever decide to leave the job and become an itinerant photo-blogger.

Up the stairs to the gym for some drug-addled exercises to protect the old back, and then back home with a lovely slice of NY style thin-crust cheese pizza on the way.

Tonight all about typing in latest version of edits on the thesis.. it is getting very close now.. 16,343 words. Still a bit long even with huge chunks cut out in revision. I've kept each substantial re-write of the piece, so all the bits that are out.. descriptive style, social ironist, even country by country analysis… are all on the computer somewhere.

The lovely BAG is coming over tomorrow night and she is working on her final papers. This leads to my favorite kind of couple night - close proximity and occasional chatter, but not the relentless conversational navel-gazing that women like. Men are so much better at communicating things than women are. If a picture is worth a thousand words? A grunt is worth a thousand pictures.

Anyway, at some point I'll have to declare the writing done, get to the formatting, and then get to the turning in and publishing.

Oh yeah, also saw a nice bumper sticker. Just about two weeks ago I was talking with some co-workers about how you don't see the stupid "W" bumper stickers anymore (This is Big City, after all, not Bumbfuck Tejas). I laughed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bring me one of them there pills.....

yer sis