Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Why I hate "Concrete" poetry...

Because it's a fucking lame typographical trick, yo!

"Oh my, the Sands of Time!"

All things take time and life takes more
As these things waste my time they also bore
And all time wasted is time we have no more
It is subtracted from our two and fourscore

We slog dully on at this mind-numbing pace
As if there were no graveyard to face
No dark and silent resting place
No fall from light and grace

I don’t know why
The I
I
I
I
I
Denies
I take the slide.

Instead, days bring quotidian tasks
That we keep completing until the last
Robs us of memories, present, future, past
And leaves us, dirt to dirt, or leaves of grass

And you don’t believe as we soldier through
That as nights grow long and days grow few
You took the chance to waste some time
Now in return? Time must waste you.

No comments: