Friday, March 17, 2006

Hydroderm -- The lieingest ads ever, insulting to women (I think) and just plain icky.

You may remember Hydroderm from such previous posts as this one. OK.. technically speaking that was the only post. But they continue to amaze. Yesterday I was clicking around on Slate and, drunkenly, watched a Hydroderm advert with amazing slide-animations showing 'improvement' in ... well.. improvement in graphics.

It was only the second after I clicked away from that page that I realized I thought I'd seen some text on the advert that said something like "not real pictures." I had to find that advert just one more time!

15 solid minutes of refreshing the page only resulted in a succession of ads from Monster.com. Monsters!

I thought all was lost, but today as I'm reading the rather funny Slate page on Annoying White Guys (AWG) in college basketball I realized that I was seeing a version of the same advert. And it looks like this:



Now.. in all the excitement of the cellulite dissapearing you might just be giddy enough to overlook this brilliant disclaimer:



simulated godd*mned images!

And this advert is on Slate where, presumably, the literati come to break bread. How can this be? Isn't someone complaining. Is telling the truth (in puny text) right after you tell an enormous lie (in beautiful RGB images) somehow an appropriate thing?

I am boggled. I find myself beginning to pray (to all those gawds I don't believe in) that this is actually a brilliant viral campaign for PhotoShop or some similar program.

Oh man, let that be true!

No comments: