Sunday, December 17, 2006

Almost Over

I just sent my last classroom assignment to my "Just Barely Accredited Master's Program." It was on Melville's "Bartleby The Scrivener" which is a story I love and have loved since I first read it a few years ago. The crazy artisto-deluxe at Swamp Valley College recommended it to me back then and I really liked it.

I liked it even more within the context of "American" (meaning "US") Romanticism, but when it came to writing the paper I was completely flat. It's done and will be an A (I think) but I don't want to have to write anything academic anything again until I do my thesis.

If I do?

It will be deconstructionist slogans.

Written with a machine gun.

On the chest of innocent passers by.

From a fucking tower.

I'd ask what kind of moron gets an MA in English.. but I have a mirror.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a moron who got a BA in English, I can say pretty authoritatively that a Masters in same is more valuable than you think. With my BA - and a little tweaking 13 years ago at a community college - I started a now-lucrative career in Technical Publications. You could do likewise, but with a Masters you could effortlessly leap up to management where the real cash can be found.

And there's academia, or secondary education if you're brave. Last but not least, there's screen/TV writing. Most of the original writers for "The Simpsons" were guys with Masters in English Lit.

So don't despair.

Anonymous said...

hey there, just clicking to thank you for giving our song delancey a personal 8 on that salon song search thingy. that was pretty cool, especially from a professed husker du fan.

i'd like to think that almost all of the songs we do are actually a lot louder than that one but you're welcome to visit our myspace and check em out.

now to read your blog,
best,
the jbg

Anonymous said...

two comments? (Now three of course.) Must be a record.

Give Ox and his gorgeous wife a hug and Seasonal wishes from me!

yersis