Monday, June 13, 2005

A Legendary Career Might Be Over?

Digging around the intarweb you sometimes find artifacts that hint at greatness. John Basil Jackson is truly one of the great. In a career spanning 15 years and 81 fights his record was only marred by 4 victories (I like to think his 2 disqualifications were caused by jealous rivals who goaded him into a head-butting battle by being even worse than he was).

I note that his last fight was over a year ago and that he is now 40. I certainly hope this doesn't mean he has retired since as an over-40 boxer he will certainly have a chance to continue to pad his record.

I just hope he doesn't get signed to fight Mike Tyson, because I couldn't stand to see another "W" blemish his record.

John Basil Jackson - Monument


And then, through the magic of the intarwebs I find this page which introduces me to the aptly named "Joe Grim" whose win percentage is even lower. I leave it to purists to argue if his high DQ rate counts for anything. Anyway, he stopped fighting in 1913, so I guess he won't be gilding the lilly any longer.

No comments: