Friday, September 01, 2006

Phrases I like to try to work into conversation.

One thing the web has made painfully clear, is that nothing has EVAR been thought of by just one person (Well, "muslim fuck buddy" comes pretty close). You think of something, then google it and see just how unoriginal you are. I've had a couple of idea I thought were pretty damned clever and then had a web-search incinerate them. One was the "What Would Judas Do" (WWJD? Get it? Get it??!?) line of wristbands and T-shirts; another was the "Conservation of Misery" theory. Both turned out to have been "thought of" by at least 100 other "wits" and in one case each, by a wit who then sold the shit on Cafe Press.

I'm not into originality anymore.

It's been done.

But there are some things I've heard that I really do like to work into conversation.

Here's a short list:

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel." (Black Adder)

"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others" (Orwell)

"If pigs had wings they'd look pretty stupid" (Pedro Picasso)

"If two wrongs don't make a right, three might" (Pedro again)

"Alright, let's start with the basics. English is a non-inflected Indo-European language derived from dialects of...." (Black Adder)

"One day at a time? What kind of a plan is that?" (P.P.)

"Yes, it is normal for one to hang a bit lower than the other" (Trad.)

and.....

"Well roger me silly!"

So who wants to talk?

No comments: